ra [ra] -.
re1 [re] dx. Distal demonstrative: there, over there. ◇ là-bas.
~re2 [(i·)re] phr. let go of, leave. ◇ laisser.
(1) let go of ‹s.th.›, release, drop. ◇
- U-re mevia* eo.
- [Release your breath!] Have a rest!
- Menu ka i-re tengiro.
- The baby was shedding tears.
- U-re bavede!
- Release the sail!
(2) leave ‹s.th.› somewhere; put ‹s.th.› down, lay, set. ◇
- Voko iote pon li-re ne elene Lege ponu.
- They took stones and laid them down in the clearing of Lengge.
(3) (esp) set ‹trap›; cast ‹net›. ◇
- Kape la-re tetaki me la-labu neido konge ne ero.
- We will set a trap to catch small shrimps in the river.
- Ne-le ne-re pele.
- I'm going net-fishing.
(4) spend ‹money, viko›, pay ‹fine›. ◇
- Ka a-romo leka! Kape u-re viko!
- You had eye contact with your cousin! You will have to pay a fine!
(5) let go of, release ‹s.o.›; leave ‹s.o.› alone. ◇
- U-re ene!
- Leave me alone!
(6) allow ‹s.o.› to do s.th.. ◇
(7) leave ‹s.o.›; drop ‹s.o.› somewhere, walk ‹s.o.› back. ◇
- Awa ene i-su pe ni-re kaipa damiliko iono.
- I am sad to have left you and your family.
- A-re Bakap vele?
- Where did you drop Bakap?
(8) divorce ‹s.o.›. ◇
- Ka i-re emele iape.
- [he has released his wife] He is divorced.
~re i-wene -. lit. “leave-it it-lies” : leave ‹s.th.› somewhere. ◇ ◈ Sometimes contracted to ~rewene*.
- U-re i-wene!
- Leave it there!
rema [rema] -.
revo [revo] intransitive verb. <Sea> ◇
(1) sea, esp. marine zone surrounding the island and accessible on a daily basis (vs. ngamuli ‘ocean’). ◇
- abilo peini revo
- Ero i-pu i-abu i-vagasi revo.
- The river flows down to the sea.
- Dapa kula li-abu revo, me le-labu namuko.
- The others slap the (sea) water, in order to catch the fish.
- Kape le-loko ajekele le-iui ne revo.
- They're going to gather rubbish and throw it in the sea.
(2) tide. ◇
- Revo i-koie.
- [the sea is coming in] The tide is rising.
- Revo i-kopine.
- [the sea is deep] It's high tide.
- Revo i-ma.
- [the sea is dry] It's low tide.
(3) salt water, sea water. ◇
- Ni-wowo revo i-ke mina lema kuo.
- I'm bailing out the (sea) water from inside the canoe.
- Emel' iote i-le i-wowo revo i-ka i-sabisi se awene.
- A woman went to draw saltwater, and brought it back to pour it above the oven.
ro [ro] -.
roe tebene [roe teᵐbene] noun. <Bot> lit. “roe turned yellow” : k.o. tree, unidentified. ◇
rom [rom] -.
romo [romo] -.
ro’2 transitive verb. short form of ~romo ‘see’. ◇
ruene [ruene] -.